Tuesday 7 March 2017

Have faith in God


I was so blessed (as always) by this morning's reading from Spurgeon that I wanted to share it, especially as it gives reference to the characters from Bunyan's Pilgrims Progress. This encouraged me regarding my own walk with God, and helped me to put my focus onto the One who is called Faithful. 


Faith is the foot of the soul by which it can march along the road of the commandments. Love can make the feet move more swiftly; but faith is the foot which carries the soul. Faith is the oil enabling the wheels of holy devotion and of earnest piety to move well; and without faith the wheels are taken from the chariot, and we drag heavily. With faith I can do all things; without faith I shall neither have the inclination nor the power to do anything in the service of God. If you would find the men who serve God best, you must look for the men of the most faith. Little faith will save a man, but little faith cannot do great things for God. 


Poor Little-Faith (from Pilgrims Progress by J. Bunyan) could not have fought "Apollyon;" it needed "Christian" to do that. Poor Little-Faith could not have slain "Giant Despair;" it required "Great-Heart's" arm to knock that monster down. Little-Faith will go to heaven most certainly, but it often has to hide itself in a nutshell, and it frequently loses all but its jewels. Little-Faith says, "It is a rough road, beset with sharp thorns, and full of dangers; I am afraid to go;" but Great-Faith remembers the promise, "Thy shoes shall be iron and brass; as thy days, so shall thy strength be:" and so she boldly ventures. Little-Faith stands desponding, mingling her tears with the flood; but Great-Faith sings, 

"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee:" and she fords the stream at once. 
                              Spurgeon's Morning and Evening Devotional p134

When I came to true faith in Christ in 2001, Isaiah 43:1-2 was the first scripture given to me by The Holy Spirit (see top of post for the verse). How He knew I needed this verse, and it worked effectively indeed to give the courage to face trials ahead, and to help me to keep my focus on Jesus, who was to be always with me. 

No one likes tribulation and troubles, and when they come we are so eager for the trial to be over and to feel at peace and rest again, yet we forget in the midst of our tumoil that peace and rest is still available for us. Without the trial, we can never know the "peace that passes understanding", ~Philippians 4:7. 

In the Bible, I was reading the other day the Gospel of John, looking at Jesus' last moments with His disciples before He was to be arrested. He speaks words of reality...........

"Behold the hour comes, yes and now is, that you shall be scattered, every man to his own, and you shall leave me." John 16:32

The disciples must have been shocked at such words, hardly believing them, yet they knew Jesus always talked truth. Even though Jesus had told them several times about the events that were soon to swiftly unravel before them, they still hadn't really taken it to heart. They loved Jesus, how could they leave Him? They hadn't left Him before. Then Jesus speaks words of reassurance to them....

"And yet, I am not alone, because the Father is with me. These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you might have peace.
In the world you will have tribulation, but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." John 16:32-33

Jesus tells here the reason for Him forewarning his disciples, and us also. He tells us that through we will encounter troubles, His desire is for us to go through them with His peace. He didn't say He would spare His followers from persecution, political unrest, family difficulties etc. He says clearly that we WILL have tribulation.

Another re-assuring promise from Jesus regarding His peace is found a bit earlier in this conversation.

"Peace I leave with you, My peace I give you; not as the world gives. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." John 14:27

One of my favourite Bible passages that goes very nicely with the scripture that the Lord gave me years ago is this, and I believe it is speaking of things to come, and how as believers we can endure it with the peace of Christ within us. 

Psalm 46

As God is our refuge, we will not fear though the earth be removed, and the mountains be carried into the sea. Wow. Would you be afraid? 
Jesus forewarned His disciples before He was arrested and crucified, so that when it happened they would be prepared, but they weren't. 
All through the Bible, God has forewarned us of things that are to come upon the earth, so that when it comes to pass, His disciples will be prepared. 
The peace of Jesus is literally out of this world, and it is His desire that we have it. Whenever I am in need and find fear arising in me, I remind myself of the words of Jesus, and I thank Him that I don't have to be overwhelmed. There is a supply of peace for me ready to collect, I need only Look unto Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith, 

"The Lord gives strength to His people, the Lord blesses His people with peace" 
Psalm 29:11


"You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You."
Isaiah 26:3


No comments:

Post a Comment