Saturday 22 April 2017

Corrie Ten Boom



Shortly after I had been baptised in 2002, one of the ladies in the fellowship we were part of kindly loaned me a precious book of hers to read. It was to become precious to me too. I read it in 2 days, not able to put it down, and cried for most of the second day's reading. The book was a true story written by a Dutch lady who survived the horrors of a concentration camp, after being arrested for hiding Jews in the family home during WW2. The whole family was betrayed, her elderly father died within days of the arrest, and her elder sister died also in the camp. But the book is really a story of triumph over darkness, of the power of love over hatred, and of the supernatural hand of God in a place where evil seems to be prevailing.

This was the among the first contacts I had with testimonies about the supernatural power of God, and His personal dealings with individuals in a tangible way. Up until then, I had believed in God, knew He loved me and heard my prayers, and had experienced Him in a very real way when I was younger. But now that I was on a whole new journey with Jesus, where He was to be involved in everything in my life! I had so much to learn about who He is, how He helps us, and why He allows things to happen, and this book was perfectly timed to help answer some of these questions.

The book is The Hiding Place, and the lady is Corrie Ten Boom.


Here is a snippet from another book of hers, called Clippings from my Notebook.


I Was in Prison, but He Was With Me

Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.
Joshua 1:9


Do you ever feel alone? What a question! Of course you do. But I know from my own experience that the worst loneliness is that of solitary confinement. 
Years ago I was alone in a cell for four months. One day for the first time a beam of sunlight shone through the window. I jumped up and stood so that the sunshine touched my face. Slowly it moved on, and I moved too, just to enjoy that beam as long as possible.
That was one of the moments when I realised my loneliness as never before. I cried to the Lord and He answered: 'Have you forgotten that there is always, under all circumstances, the sunshine of My love? Have I not said "Lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world" (Matthew 28:20)? I am your peace. I can give you joy now also.'
I started to sing, softly at first, later more loudly.

What a friend we have in Jesus
All our sins and griefs to bear.
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer.


I waited a moment, and then I heard from another cell....


What a peace we often forfeit,
O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer.


It was an answer from a woman who also was in solitary confinement. Her husband had been shot before her eyes, then she had been put in prison. But she too knew Jesus as her friend and Saviour. I answered her by singing....


Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged
Take it to the Lord in prayer.

Can we find a friend so faithful?
Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness,
Take it to the Lord in prayer.


A guard banged on the door and shouted: 'If you do not stop singing, I will take you to the dark cell.'
I stopped singing and threw myself onto my dirty bed. The guard did not know when I sang so softly that only my Saviour could hear:


Are we weak and heavy-laden
Cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Saviour, still our refuge 
Take it to the Lord in prayer.

Do thy friend despise, forsake thee?
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He'll take and shield thee,
Thou wilt find a solace there.


Not only in solitary confinement can one feel alone. Often in the company of many others with who you have no real fellowship you can be lonely. But Jesus is with you also. Have you asked Him to come into your heart? Then you can talk to Him without saying a word aloud. He hears and He loves you. You are very precious in His eyes!Hallelujah, what a Saviour!


Quotes by Corrie

I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess.

Someone said to me, 'When I worry, I go to the mirror and say to myself: this tremendous thing which worries me is beyond solution; especially it is too hard for Jesus Christ to handle. After I have said so, I smile and am ashamed.'

I looked at Jesus and the dove of peace entered my heart! I looked at the dove of peace......and lo, off it went!

Page 15


CORRIE TEN BOOM April 15th 1892 - April 15th 1983

Corrie Ten Boom went home to be with the Lord aged 91, on her birthday. She had a love for the Jewish people, and in Jewish tradition it is a very special privilege to 'die' on your birthday! After her miraculous release from prison, she spent the remainder of her years travelling the world sharing her experiences with whoever would listen. Another amazing book of hers is called Tramp for the Lord, where she shares her experiences of her travels with God. She lived by faith, trusting God for provision, only settling in her last five years, where she rested after suffering from a stroke.





No comments:

Post a Comment